Monday, September 19, 2011

nine/eleven

Ten years later as America grows stronger over terrorism, we remember that horrible day where many lives were lost. As the ten years rolled, I've gotten the chance to visit two exhibits about 9/11. The first was at LaGuardia community college where I attend classes, and MoMa ps1 in Long island city. As I was trying to find comparison between the two, I truly couldn't. I found the MoMa exhibit to be a bit boring and had nothing to really do with what happened on that dreadful day and almost forgetting to mention that I couldn't take pictures. But I did find some work that caught my eye. The artist John Pilson with a photo titled "plane" in the picture the reflection of the plane as it would look like flying into a window. That blew my mind because I can't imagine myself being in that situation. Another by artist Lara Favaretto, titled "Lost and Found" where there was a real big suit case on the floor. As I read the description it explained where the
slogan "if you see something, say something" came from in 2002. 

The Exhibit in LaGuardia stood out to me more with the overwhelming descriptions and stories of each art piece. Artist Michael Richards had a studio in the WTC 92 floor, He passed away working over night doing  a piece on world war 2. In the picture it's a pilot with planes flying into him from every direction. Which from my point of view seemed ironic. 
Another were pictures of victims posted up by family members trying to located their loved ones at the site. That section of the exhibit truly put a lump in my throat. While some just gave me goose bumps. The artist Cris Cristofaro hung up empty body bags and on the description stated that "the bags on the wall mimicked the towers with the bags opened revealing bodies that never came. 




No comments:

Post a Comment